ISMD (INGV Strong Motion Data web portal) provides in quasi real time the strong motion waveforms related to the Italian earthquakes with local magnitude (ML) ≥ 3.0. Data are recorded by the National Seismic Network (RSN), operated by the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) and regional networks operated by several providers.
ISMD 1.0 was developped in the framework of the TTC 1.1 (Monitoraggio sismico del territorio nazionale) and TTC 5.2 (Banche Dati di sismologia strumentale) during the 2011 and published in the first months of the 2012 with the aim to uniform and regulate the distribution of the INGV strong-motion data through a common web portal, after the homogeneous data acquisition and processing procedures. The main scope of the project was the real-time archiving, processing and distribution of strong-motion data recorded by the INGV and partner networks, complete with all of the necessary ‘site information’ to correctly process the available data.
ISMD 2.0 was developped during the 2015 in the framework of the INGV-T5 research activity and was published on July 2016. The core of the automatic system, is now based on a PostgreSQL reletional database allowing all users to query earthquakes and stations information and ground motion parameters, and to select and download accelerometric waveforms and response spectra upon user registration.
- checks the quality of the raw accelerograms recorded by the INGV strong-motion network;
- archives and process the data in real-time, to provide rapid estimations of the main strong-motion parameters of an earthquake;
- provides in real time high-quality strong-motion waveforms and related metadata. The accelerograms are downloadable both in raw-SAC (binary-Seismic Analysis Code, obtained from the raw MiniSEED data acquired in continuous mode) and in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) corrected formats, as well as the velocity and displacement time series and the related response spectra;
- publishes, some minutes after the earthquake occurrence, a real-time report of the event (e.g., including event and waveform metadata, seismic response of the recording sites, comparisons between observed and predicted data etc.);
- collects and distributes detailed geological, morphological and geophysical information about the recording site, moreover to checks, updates and homogenises the information related to the INGV strong-motion stations (e.g., coordinates, instrumentation etc.).
At present ISMD ARCHIVE includes:
1409 earthquakes (ML≥3.0)
261 strong motion stations
For information about data providers see network
For technical information see the user manual
For a general overview please refer to Massa et al., (2014) and Mascandola et al., (2018)
(Last update: 07 December 2018):
List of others databases including the INGV strong motion data:
European Integrated Data Archive: (EIDA)
ITalian ACcelerometric Archive: (ITACA)
Engineering Strong Motion database: (ESM)
Rapid Raw Strong Motion: (RRSM)